9/05/2010

Parking Lot Attendant

There is something about being behind the wheel of a car that brings out the worst in people. When I was an elementary school teacher, I had car duty. My job was to stand at the top of the stairs and make sure the traffic kept moving and no children ran out into the street... general safety stuff. I dreaded car duty days. There was always some kind of drama and lots of attitude.

This morning, LJ and I crossed paths with a parking lot attendant who was in the middle of some kind of drama and lots of attitude. The guy was just doing his job (and he was actually a volunteer so he wasn't even getting paid). We walked over to him and said hello. I told him about my car duty days and my theory about it bringing out the worst in people. While we were chatting, LJ and I got to witness another altercation (which totally supported my theory). We thanked him, and he thanked us for being so nice. I carried that conversation with me all day.

This is another really simple thing that I would probably have never done if it had not been for this project. Hmm... maybe being kinder is becoming a habit.

Kind Regards,

Your Neighbor

No comments:

Post a Comment