9/28/2010

GFTAS Day

Today was the 27th so it was time to celebrate Betsy's holiday, Give Flowers to a Stranger Day. LJ and I bought a small potted plant, instead of flowers, and we brought it home and fancied it up a bit by adding a ribbon and a little bird. LJ is really into birds right now and flying... she loves to "fly."


We went to a nursing home. My original intention was to give it to the receptionist and ask her to deliver it to a patient who could use some cheering up (strangely enough this was the very same thing that Betsy @ The Kindness of Strangers did today... beyond coincidence). As LJ and I started up the walkway, I had a different idea. I told her that she could give it to whoever she wanted. She nodded her head and continued up the walkway, babbling about the little bluebird and its ability to fly.

She tried to give the plant to two residents, but the gentleman wasn't very aware of his surroundings (heartbreaking) and the woman said that she didn't have any place to put it. I was talking to her when LJ started walking off toward her next choice. This time she met with success. I turned to see a housekeeping worker smiling at her and holding her arms wide open. "Is that for me?" she asked. LJ gave her the plant. She laughed and when she tried to return it, I said, "I told her that she could give it to whoever she wanted and it looks like she picked you." Then she said, "It's my lucky day!" and she did a little dance. It was such a feel-good moment. This woman was genuinely happy about receiving this little plant. LJ started blowing her kisses, and she blew some in return.

Maybe next month, we can get our hands on a real bouquet of flowers. We could really spread some joy with that!

Kind Regards,

Your Neighbor

1 comment: