9/26/2010

Clean Slate

Today's act of kindness came to me while I was in the shower this morning. All good ideas seem to come into my head while I'm taking a shower. Why is that?

Anyway, today I am going to forgive. Since the person I am forgiving probably doesn't even know that she has been on my secret mental hit list for the last three years, I guess this act of kindness is for me. I'm the one who has been weighed down by my negative thoughts. She hasn't been hurt by them; I have. So, today I am officially letting it go.

For years, I have thrown around the phrase "Don't let other people rent space in your head." I got it from an episode of Candid Camera. I was just flipping through channels one day and then I came across this awesome philosophy of life. I googled it before I started typing today's post, and I found a reference to that episode on another website. Here is a quote:

"... My son Mike and I were watching a

Candid Camera episode years ago, and they had a setup in a store in a mall where they had a sign at the cash register that read: No change given today. A parade of people came and when they paid for their purchases, got all kinds of reactions. Some were mad (most were mad), some argued, some put back what they were buying. Then, this guy comes up with an item that cost $2.27 with tax and handed the clerk three dollars. He stood there expectantly, waiting on his change and the clerk finally pointed to the sign. He just smiled, nodded his head to her, and walked away with his purchase. They caught up with him outside the store and asked why he didn't get mad, and he very calmly said, "I don't let anyone rent space in my head." Mike and I went bonkers--this was the greatest philosophy we'd ever heard (from Candid Camera, of all places!) and both of us have adopted it as our own philosophy ever since. Cool, huh?"

That's pretty much how it happened. That phrase has been helpful to me over the years. This morning, while I was in the shower, I realized that I've been letting someone rent space in my head. Today is eviction day.

A true kindness for myself.

Kind Regards,

Your Neighbor

2 comments:

  1. "Today is EVICTION day" I love it! Reposting this blog...uhhh now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am feeling even happier now that I've seen EVICTION day (in all caps). Definitely something to celebrate... thanks!

    ReplyDelete