9/13/2010

Celebrate What's Right With the World

I watched a training video several years ago that really resonated with me. It is called Celebrate What's Right With the World, and it features National Geographic photographer Dewitt Jones. If you have the time, you can watch the video here. I just love it. At one point, he discusses perspective and the idea of "seeing is believing." He says that maxim is all wrong. You have to believe in order to see. If you wake up in the morning and believe that something good is going to happen that day, you will find something good. Instead of complaining about all of the things that are wrong with this world, let's celebrate what's right. The video really is worth a view.

Anyway, I have been reflecting on this project. Today is Day 50. I have really enjoyed it so far. I haven't had one bad day... that's awesome! I have felt more connected to my community. I have been more aware of the people on my path, and I have received a lot of kindness in return. Today, I was trying to compliment someone, and I ended up getting a lot more out of our conversation than she did. I was thinking about the concept of "you reap what you sow" and realizing that I often reap much more than I sow. I have benefited from each of the daily projects so far. From getting to know people like the clerk at Publix (LJ calls her "Keisha" even though that's not quite her name) to leaving little surprises for neighbors to find. I have gotten such joy out of each one.

In my first post, I stated "Strangers don't really like to be talked to... at all. Maybe that's because I live in South Florida. People down here are suspicious. When I try to talk to them, I feel like they think I'm trying to rob them or beg for money or attempt to pull some kind of scam." Really?!? Fifty days later, I would like to revise that statement. I have met some incredibly friendly strangers. This is what I meant by feeling more connected to my community. I think it has to do with perspective. If I left my house in the morning and I believed that people were suspicious and unfriendly, then I would probably find a lot of suspicious and unfriendly folks. I'm sure that they are still out there, but I haven't seen them lately. I have been too busy celebrating what's right with the world.

I believe something beautiful will happen tomorrow. I can't wait to find out what it is!

Kind Regards,

Your Neighbor

2 comments:

  1. "If you wake up in the morning and believe that something good is going to happen that day, you will find something good. Instead of complaining about all of the things that are wrong with this world, let's celebrate what's right."

    I whole-heartedly agree with this. If you go looking for the best in the world, or someone, you will find it. If you put goodness out there, it will come back to you twofold. Call it Karma, call it Faith, call it whatever you want- it's true. If you concentrate on sending positive energy and thinking, then you'll discover your life is more blessed than you could imagine and you'll feel an inner peace & happiness that nothing can rival.

    I know something beautiful is going to happen to you today, tomorrow and every day after that because you focus on what's right and good- and that makes you a truly beautiful person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such an encouraging comment. One of the big benefits of doing this project has been "meeting" so many nice people all over the country. It feels great to know that there are people like you out there! I hope YOU have a beautiful day as well.

    ReplyDelete