8/29/2010

"What a pretty shirt!"

Today was the last of LJ's birthday celebrations. We had a big, family dinner tonight. I knew that I would be in the kitchen all morning and partying all afternoon and evening so I was a little worried about finding time to fit in some kindness. I was actually happy when I discovered that I was missing an ingredient and had to make a trip to the grocery store. On the way, I was thinking about my days as an 8th grade teacher. One of my students & I used to stand in the hallway before his class and take turns complimenting the people who walked by. We weren't really being nice. It was more for our own amusement. I mean, it wasn't mean-spirited or anything, but we handed out some pretty unusual compliments. I wonder what he's up to these days. I think he's a junior in high school now. Anyway, I decided that I would compliment someone in the grocery store. Nice and easy, right?

I wanted it to be an honest compliment. I actually walked around the entire store waiting for something/someone to catch my eye. No luck. On my way out, I spotted a shirt. A very colorful shirt. It was in the Hawaiian family. Bright blue. Floral. Even though it wasn't completely honest, I delivered the compliment anyway. I don't think that she spoke English, but I got a smile and a nod in return. I tried. In retrospect, I think the kinder act was the time I spent at home cooking for my family.


Kind Regards,

Your Neighbor

No comments:

Post a Comment