8/01/2010

My "Neighbors" in Stranahan Park

On my way to church this morning, I passed by a park where many homeless people gather. I was thinking about how miserable it must be and how ridiculously hot it is, and I thought about this blog and how I should do something nice for them someday. Then, I remembered an article that I read in the Sun-Sentinel about a sex offender who was living in the park . I decided that I would definitely NOT be doing anything nice for them since I am certainly NOT going to be kind to any sex offenders. And, I drove on to church.

I suppose God heard me since it appears that this morning's message was written specifically for me. It referenced "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" [Matthew 7:12] and "Love your neighbor as yourself" [Matthew 22:39]. Of course, I thought about this blog and felt good about the year-long journey that I have started. That's when our guest speaker said that we have to take it a step further and love one another the way that God loves you. [John 13:34] I thought about those people in the park. I hear you, God. I guess I'm stopping by CVS on my way home.

I bought a case of water on sale for $2.99 with my CVS card (total kindness project spending to date: $7.99):

I drove to the park. I didn't really know what to do with the water. There were a lot of people sitting on the ground in the shade. So, I just placed the case of water under a tree. A woman, who looked about my age, said, "Thank you." I waved and walked back to my car. By the time I got back in my car, ten people were around the case of water and more were walking toward it. I'm not going to lie... I cried. It just broke my heart. I found my camera in my purse and snapped a picture:


I know that city commissioners were debating a ban on feeding the homeless at this location so this might be a controversial act of kindness, but it's one that I felt really good about doing. I am glad that I got a reminder about who "my neighbor" is and the call to love him more than I can imagine.

Kind Regards,
Your Neighbor

1 comment:

  1. A very nice twist on the recommendation from S. Way to go KK!

    ReplyDelete