8/11/2010

On the Lookout

When we set out for our daily walk today, I told LJ to be on the lookout for opportunities for kindness. Surely, we would just stumble upon someone in need, and we would be there to lend a helping hand. She fell asleep about ten minutes into the walk (or maybe she passed out from the heat... today was a HOT one). Either way, my lookout was out of commission. I was on my own.

We walked our usual route, and I didn't really see any opportunities for being kind. The only thing that I considered was picking up a bunch of rotten, half-eaten mangoes that were strewn across the road. Since I didn't have a bag or gloves, I abandoned that idea and headed for home. That's when I saw one of my neighbors coming to check her mailbox. I strolled up her driveway to say hello. She sighed and said, "Oh, the mailman has already come. I wanted to get these into the mail today." Ta-da! This is the opportunity I was waiting for. I told her that I had just passed the mailman on our walk and if she would watch LJ I would run back and give him her letters.

This act was especially kind because I do not run. Ever. For any reason. I have a jogging stroller. I wear running shoes. I have Couch to 5K on my iPod. I have good intentions. But, honestly? On my best day, I might kick up the pace to a moderately brisk walk. Never a run. But, today I had to run to catch the mail carrier. I did it, and it felt really good. I might even consider doing it again sometime... the running thing, not necessarily after the mail carrier.

Kind Regards,
Your Neighbor

No comments:

Post a Comment