8/10/2010

1 Umbrella... Here You Go!

Since I began this project, I have found so many interesting blogs on related topics. Two of them are based in Pittsburgh. Which makes me wonder... is Pittsburgh an exceptionally nice city? I have only been once (to visit a very dear friend who is one of the most naturally kind and lovely people I have ever known... which completely supports my suspicion that Pittsburghers are good people). I really enjoyed my visit. If I knew then what I know now, I would have been on the lookout for kindness while I was there. I guess I'll have to plan another trip soon.

In the meantime, I'll just keep a virtual eye on Pittsburgh and all of the good things happening there. One of these good things is a project called Here You Go. I originally read about this at Operation Nice. It's a pay-it-forward program. The creator started by handing out free umbrellas with the hope that the recipient would do a kind deed for someone else. She included a pre-stamped, pre-addressed postcard with each umbrella so they could tell her about their kind deeds. After 1,000 umbrellas, the project is still going strong.

You can probably guess what today's act of kindness was. I found four umbrellas in my closet and decided that I could part with the green one. After returning books to the library, I walked over to a storefront in the shopping plaza and left my umbrella there:

It didn't take long for someone to come by and pick up the umbrella. I watched as he opened it up and checked it out. At first he put it back where he found it, and then he took it with him. I was thrilled. I think I might have clapped and maybe giggled a little. And, I couldn't have been happier when it started pouring rain on my way home... even when I realized that my three remaining umbrellas were still in the closet!

Enjoy your new umbrella, Friend.

Kind Regards,
Your Neighbor

3 comments:

  1. Well done Neighbor! And a visit to Pittsburgh should definitely be in your near-future plans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks. I do feel like Pittsburgh is calling me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really enjoying you from afar. This is what having a child does to you, makes you sweeeet!!!

    ReplyDelete