8/24/2010

In the Parking Lot

It's Election Day. As I was waiting in line to cast my vote for the primaries, I was doing a little a people watching (just checking out my neighbors). I noticed one gentleman who was having a lot of difficulty walking. His wife was helping him to the door. He would take a couple of shaky steps, stop and lean on her, and then take a few more. I made it through the line, voted, and then caught up with them in the parking lot. They were getting into the car next to mine. He was halfway in the passenger seat. She was pushing on his legs. Then, she turned around and put her back against him and pushed in an attempt to get him into the seat.

Of course, I asked if she needed any help. She said, "No. I do this all the time." And, with one final push, he was up and in. As she closed his door, she told me that he was her husband and that he has had Parkinson's disease for eleven years. She said that it was really hard because he can't do anything by himself anymore. He can't walk. He can't feed himself. It was heartbreaking. You could tell that she had a very compassionate spirit. I don't even know what I said to her-- something about being a wonderful wife. She was such a beautiful person. I'm glad our paths crossed today.

Kind Regards,

Your Neighbor

No comments:

Post a Comment