8/21/2010

Happy Shopping

I planned to leave a little stack of coins on top of a toy vending machine today. I had four quarters and a "happy shopping" sign in my pocket, ready to make some kid's day. The only problem was that I couldn't find any toy vending machines. Strange.

So I had a change of plans at Target (my last stop of the day). When I entered the door, I walked to the $1 section and placed the coins and sign on the bottom rack. I snapped a quick picture with my cell phone and walked away.


When I finished with my shopping, I just had to pass by again to see if anyone had found my surprise. I was so disappointed to see it still sitting there. I got in line, but I kept my eyes and ears on the dollar section. Woo hoo!!! A little boy found it and I was going to get to see him pick it up (very exciting stuff). He said, "Hey, Dad! Come here. I want to show you something!" with a big smile on his face. I was secretly doing a little happy dance. A happy little dance that lasted all of five seconds-- when his father yelled, "WHAT? What do you want to show me? This isn't a sightseeing trip! We have stuff to do. Let's go!" He stormed off with my little friend walking sadly behind him. I wanted to scream-- "Hey, kid! Pick it up! That dollar is for you. PS- I'm sorry your dad is a jerk." Instead, I kept quiet, paid, and left.

Hopefully, the story has a happy ending. Maybe the boy went back. Maybe some other child picked it up and bought a new, fun toy. Maybe nobody picked it up and someone on the cleaning crew found it and bought a soda on his way home tonight. I'll never know. But, I was reminded that I need to have patience with LJ. She is just starting to put sentences together so we are a long way from "Hey, Mom! Come here. I want to show you something!" When she gets there, I can guarantee that I am going to go see it... whatever it is.

Kind Regards,

Your Neighbor

2 comments:

  1. That was very sweet of you to do that! It is too bad that you did not see the fruit of your labors bear out, but your heart was definitely in the right place. I used to work for Target, and I know how busy that dollar section gets, so rest assured that a child found your surprise and was made to feel grownup by buying their own toy!

    As for the actions of that father, it is awful that he took his stressful day out on his child. So many of us lose sight of what is really important in our lives, and we tend to ignore the effect our attitudes and actions have on those around us. Too bad he did not notice the simple joy on his child's face when he found your gift, because if he had, it may have brightened up his day, as well. Kindness

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just so moved by your spirit. I will continue to check in and bathe in your soul work. Thanks so much. Inspired

    ReplyDelete