8/22/2010

A Deliberate Act of Kindness

I learned about an exciting new volunteer opportunity today. It's called Hope South Florida, and it is a collaborative effort among 8 local churches to help the 4,000 men, women, and children who find themselves homeless in Broward County. The plan is to create housing initiatives, mentoring relationships, and one-stop community service centers for things like food, clothing, child care, and bus passes. Since I certainly plan to become involved, I was paying close attention to all of the details. Or at least I was trying to pay attention. It was kind of hard because there were two teenage boys sitting in front of me. They were more interested in popping their gum, writing notes, pinching each other and faking seizures. Oh, I just wanted to grab them by the back of their necks and knock their heads together. (I know, I know... not very kind thoughts, but it was soooo irritating). That's when this blog popped into my head. I decided that I would go out of my way to be kind to them.

After it was all over, we ended up having a nice conversation. Their first day of school is tomorrow. One is a senior, and the other is a sophomore. I wished them both well and told them that I hope that they have a great school year. I meant it. This particular act of kindness took a lot more effort than the others. It's a little harder to be kind to people who are really getting on your nerves.

Kind Regards,

Your Neighbor

No comments:

Post a Comment