11/02/2010

First Day of School

I worked as a substitute teacher yesterday. The assignment was for a preschool class-- adorable 3 and 4 year old children with speech and language delays. I have subbed in that class before, and I really enjoyed it.

While I was waiting for the children to arrive, I learned that we would have a new student. It was Jonathan's first day of school. I had originally planned to find something positive to say about each student as my act of kindness for the day. When I saw 3-year old Jonathan with his Thomas the Tank Engine backpack and brand new shoes and tear-filled eyes, I had a new mission: make Jonathan's day.

It was an easy assignment, and I was happy that I could tell his mom that he had a wonderful day when she picked him up. I managed to squeeze in those compliments with the other children in the class, too.... plenty of good artwork, nice manners, smiles, sharing and singing!

Kind Regards,

Your Neighbor

No comments:

Post a Comment