10/07/2010

Coins for the Fountain

Why do people throw coins into fountains? I did a little search and came up with a couple of interesting articles from the New York Times and the Williamson Herald, but no real answers about the origin of this practice. I just know that it's something that I've always done, just like wishing upon a star.

Today we had a lunch date with my niece. Since I was familiar with the restaurant and knew that there is a fountain in the front, I made a little wishing jar to bring along:





I thought it would be a cute way to encourage people to make some wishes... why not, right? I am counting this as an act of kindness even though I don't think that the person who is responsible for cleaning the coins out the fountain would think it was very kind.


They are holding an auction this evening where you can bid on one of 15 seven-foot tall alligator sculptures made by local artists. You can see the watermelon alligator in the photo below. This might not have been the best day to leave my wishing jar at the fountain. But, you never know... people might think it's part of the Gator Glam Art Show. I guess this is proof that I really do live in Florida ;-)


I made a wish today, and I really, really, really hope it comes true.

Kind Regards,

Your Neighbor

No comments:

Post a Comment