9/15/2010

A Small Act of Caring

I was just sitting here, thinking about my day, wishing that I had done something spectacular. My big act of kindness for the day was.... drum roll please.... a smile. That's it. Just a smile. Well, it was accompanied by a "hello" and a "how are you today?" but mostly it was the smile. I was feeling like it was pretty insignificant, and then I stumbled across this quote by Leo Buscaglia: "Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." Suddenly, I am feeling a lot better about today's act of kindness.

I was smiling at an elderly gentleman who I keep running into. Today was the third (maybe the fourth?) time that we have crossed paths. Same store, same day of the week. I guess we are both creatures of habit. Anyway, he has the best smile. He smiles with his eyes. Do you know what I'm talking about? The rest of the smile is great, too... he has some impressive gold teeth. But, it's the eyes that really make it. I'm not even sure if this was my act of kindness or his. Maybe one of these days I'll introduce myself.

Kind Regards,

Your Neighbor

1 comment:

  1. It doesn't get much kinder than a smile!

    Thanks for the get well wishes, they worked.

    ReplyDelete