9/11/2010

Parking Meter

Happy Saturday! I did not have any plans for my act of kindness when I woke up today. I just hoped that we would stumble upon an opportunity. My mom, LJ, and I went shopping. Instead of our grocery store trip, we changed it up a bit and went antiquing instead. The antique store had street parking. After I put my change into the parking meter, I noticed that I had an extra quarter in my hand. I decided to check for any expired meters as we walked to the store front. The next meter we came across had only one minute left. I put my quarter in. Then I looked up and saw a man sitting in the vehicle. I don't think he noticed me. He appeared to be reading. We went inside and did some shopping. I found two chairs... gorgeous, vintage, and in desperate need of reupholstering thanks to the previous owner's cat. The store owner announced, "If you parked out front, make sure you fed the meter because a police officer is writing tickets." One woman said, "My husband is in the car." The owner said, "It doesn't matter. She'll still write the ticket." I wanted to interrupt and tell her not to worry because I just put a quarter in for her. Go on and shop, lady.. you have 30 more minutes! :-) Instead, I just smiled and enjoyed that fly-on-the-wall moment.

Kind Regards,

Your Neighbor

2 comments:

  1. It’s amazing how one small good deed can change your whole life sometimes. As a single mother, I am always in a hurry. One day, while standing in a long line at a supermarket checkout, I saw the lady behind me looking at her watch desperately. Knowing that my kids were safe at my sister’s, I asked if she wanted to go ahead. The look on her face was one of sheer relief. I didn’t think much of it till I met her again a few days later. Turns out, she lived just round the corner from me; she was a single mother too and her kids were the same age as mine. We agreed to meet up and our kids got on fabulously. We both know we can count on each other to keep an eye on the kids or to pick up a few supplies from the store in an emergency. I know that small act of kindness definitely paid big time for me. Neighbor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that story. I feel the same way. There is real potential in every kind act. You never know where it might lead.

    ReplyDelete