8/05/2010

Meat and Potatoes

A friend and I were talking about this blog (so I guess it's not completely anonymous after all). She was asking me about the difference between a random act of kindness and just doing the right thing. I told her that I was planning to do more deliberate acts of kindness, with some random acts in between, and I suppose they could both occasionally fall into the category of "the right thing to do." Since I'm defining the project, sometimes the recipients will be strangers and other times they will be people I know. That's the nice thing about this work-in-progress. I can make the rules up as I go along.

Today I am going to be making dinner for a neighbor. His wife is in the hospital, and he is in very poor health. Her daughter has been driving back and forth at mealtimes. During one of her stops, I asked if there is anything I could do. He is a meat and potatoes guy so I'll be dishing up some meatloaf and mashed potatoes about 6:00 pm. It won't be anonymous, but I guess it will still count. Another benefit of being the one who makes up the rules. :-)

Kind Regards,
Your Neighbor

3 comments:

  1. See? I knew you were a sweetie all along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there is a big difference between acts of kindness and doing the right thing. I'm sure your project help more people "do the right thing."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it has helped me. I find myself looking for things to do and doing things that I would not have done before... even simple things like cooking this man dinner. He has been ill for years, and I have only spoken with him once in the last three years. Tonight was our second conversation. He seemed really happy about the meal and very appreciative. And, LJ was a big hit. I think we'll do it again.

    ReplyDelete