8/18/2010

Hi, Stranger

Today's act of kindness actually started yesterday. During our afternoon walk, we met a man who was removing a bee hive at our neighbor's house. I noticed his outfit as we passed by (since it was smoking hot outside and he was in a jumpsuit) and then I read the sign on his truck aloud, "Bee removal." I guess he heard me because he started talking back. So LJ and I stopped and chatted with the man. He told us about the job he was doing and showed us his beekeeper suit and the bee stings on his hands. I thought about him a lot yesterday afternoon. He was a really nice guy. We almost walked right by and missed the opportunity to meet him.

So, today my mission was to be a little friendlier to strangers. I guess this was an act of kindness for myself since I truly enjoyed chatting with all of the nice people out in the world today.

To the woman behind me in line at the post office: your niece is going to LOVE her birthday present!

To the sweet old man who convinced me to buy LJ that toy chest: I hope your wife didn't keep you waiting too long, and you were right... I fixed the broken hinge.

I had some really nice conversations today. I don't think that they would have happened if I had not been intentionally looking for them. At the beginning of this project, I was under the impression that strangers didn't want to be talked to and preferred to be left alone. But, now I'm not so sure. I guess it depends on the stranger. Anyway, as I said before, I was the lucky one today.

Kind Regards,

Your Neighbor

5 comments:

  1. Hey Neighbor! Thanks for stopping by my blog!! I LOVE your blog, too! I just recently found it and I'm so happy I did. You rock!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neighbor - this is such a great message! It could do a lot for the world if we all tried harder like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement. I am hoping for a "change the world" kind of experience. Maybe it will happen. I definitely know I feel a change in me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, our blogs are similar today! Must be a psychic connection between Florida and Rhode Island.

    Betsy
    www.oneyearofkindness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew this would happen to you one day! Having LJ just makes it shine out your pores!

    ReplyDelete