7/29/2010

Christmas in July

Today's idea came to me over breakfast. I couldn't wait to go shopping! I know that acts of kindness don't require spending money (which is a very good thing since I don't have a lot of money to spend), but I allowed a $5 budget for this idea. There is a couple who live in our neighborhood who really go wild with their Christmas decorations. They have hundreds of trees inside their house. Most of them are tiny, but every room has a full-size tree. Every room also has a theme... Snowman room, Santa Claus room, Poinsettia room. The kitchen tree is decorated with Christmas cookie cutters and little candy ornaments. The bathroom tree has cotton balls and dental floss and little soap balls. They start decorating in October, and they add a little bit more each year. I don't know why they popped into my head this morning at breakfast, but they did. And, I had the greatest idea. The thrift shop at one of the local hospitals has a Christmas room. I would take my $5 and go shopping!
Just look at all of that stuff! I found a grapevine tree with little white lights and a cute snowman. I even had enough money to buy a Christmas gift bag. I made a card that said, "Christmas Countdown. Only 148 more days!" I walked down the street and dropped the package on their doorstep.
Of course, now I'm wondering if that creeped them out. I didn't sign the card. I wanted it to be anonymous. But, would that bother them? Did they call the bomb squad? Do they feel like they have a stalker now? Are they peering out of their darkened windows at this very moment wondering who could have done such a thing? Maybe I should tone it down a little bit. I should just pick up some trash tomorrow or let someone merge in front of me on I-95.

Kind Regards,
Your Neighbor

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...I challenge you to get through the whole year without spending $365. That would be awesome and may even make things juicier as they go along! Love the idea and I bet you will love seeing that grapevine wreath while you are over for eggnog this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Challenge accepted. I'll keep track of the money I spend for this project and make sure the total does not exceed $365. My husband will be relieved to hear that. ;-)

    ReplyDelete