1/27/2011

Baby Shopping

LJ and I are getting ready to move into our new house. Very exciting stuff! I have a lot of sorting and organizing to do. I've been saving boxes of baby items because I thought that LJ would have a brother or sister soon. I don't think that's going to happen now so I've been thinking about what I should do with all of her stuff. On Saturday, I was talking about it with a friend and said, "I wish I knew someone who was having a baby and really needed this stuff." On Monday, there was a knock on our door. It was a woman who cleans our neighbor's house. She wanted to know if I had a baby swing that she could buy from me or if any of our friends had a used baby swing she could purchase. Really?

I don't know her well, but I do know what a hard worker she is. In addition to being a special education teacher's aide, she also did babysitting, caring for the elderly, and house cleaning. I've never seen her without a smile on her face. So I told her that I had a swing, but it would take me a day or two to get it out of storage. I spent all day on Wednesday going through LJ's baby things, and picking out the good stuff (stroller, car seat, bassinet, bouncy seat, play mats, activity tables, boppy, diaper genie, jumperoo, swing, crib mattress, bath tub, and bags of clothes).



I set it all up in our living room:




When she came over, I told her that she could have anything she wanted. She was so happy! And, seeing her so happy made ME so happy. It was the best day I've had in a while. I'm sure I could have sold all of this stuff on craigslist or at a yard sale and made some money, but it felt so good to give it to someone who really needs it. Our friends and our family have been so generous to LJ and to me; it just makes sense for us to continue the spirit of giving.

Kind Regards,

Your Neighbor

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure you absolutely made her day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful!!! I am positive that that made her day!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Betsy and Megan (two of my favorite people who I've never met)! Through this little project, I have found some wonderful resources and some really beautiful people all over the world. You are a couple of day-makers, too.

    ReplyDelete